A young Spitfires side fired themselves into the semi-finals of the Hampshire Senior Cup with a win over Bashley. Dylan Walker and Jake Scrimshaw were on target as Eastleigh progressed.

Dylan Walker forged the first chance of the tie for the Spitfires, with a mere two minutes on the clock; his run into the box was disrupted by a Bashley defender who could only turn behind for a corner.

The hosts responded quickly as a long free kick put in towards the back post found the head of Sam Jackson, who put his effort high and wide for an Eastleigh goal kick.

Jake Scrimshaw looked to be through on goal in the 11th minute, he had evaded two defenders and went up for a header. The forward, having got to the ball first, was clattered on the edge of the area by home goalkeeper Ross Casey.

In the 15th minute, the Spitfires opened the scoring; Dylan Walker tapped into an almost empty net; he was excellently found by Ryan Hill who picked the pocket of the Bashley defence before generously playing the ball to the scorer.

Dylan Waker wheeling away in celebration. © Image by Graham Scambler Photography

A misplaced back-pass to Spitfires keeper Ross Flitney saw him chased down by forward Adam Grange. The stopper had no choice but to shield the ball behind for a corner.

The hosts had a long-range effort easily claimed by Flitney, who began a fast break for the Spitfires, who almost capitalised.

Hill’s resultant effort was just over the crossbar; he got a quick shot away as he was rapidly closed down by a scrambling opposition.

Frankie Monk had what looked to be the best opportunity of the half for Bashley, in the form of a 25-yard free kick. His strike was out of Flitney’s reach but rose over the crossbar with ten minutes left until the break.

The hosts had another chance towards the end of the half as Monk had his effort expertly cleared off the line. The rebound travelled wide of the post for an Eastleigh goal kick.

Brian Stock’s men retained their lead and went in a goal up at half-time.

The Spitfires were a goal to the good at the break. © Image by Graham Scambler Photography

A minute into the second half there was a short stoppage as Sam Jackson picked up a knock, the referee playing an advantage. He recovered following treatment and played on.

Bashley kicked on moments later as Monk’s delivery from the left evaded any of his teammates and travelled just wide of the unmanned far post.

A scramble around Eastleigh’s penalty area saw the ball played out to Grange on the edge of the box; his shot rose over the crossbar and towards the GlenMex stadium clubhouse.

With 56 minutes on the clock, Grange equalised for the hosts. A cross came in from the right and the forward found himself in space and headed home.

The New Forest side appealed for a penalty minutes later, a ball was lumped into the box and Flitney claimed; bravely taking the ball and player.

Eastleigh broke forward as Payne looked dangerous down the right but the winger was one stride ahead of Bashley’s backline and caught offside.

On the 70th minute, Eastleigh were awarded a penalty as, for the second time in the match, goalkeeper Casey was late to a challenge. Scrimshaw stepped up and fired Brian Stock’s men back into the lead.

Scrimshaw fires the Spitfires ahead from the spot. © Image by Graham Scambler Photography

A midfield battle commenced, that didn’t see much goalmouth action for either side. That was until the 83rd minute as Monk’s darting run in from the left saw him fire just over from a tight angle.

With under three minutes left on the clock, Harry McGrath had an opportunity to pull the hosts’ level. He found himself unmarked on the edge of the box but dragged his effort wide of the right-hand post.

The Spitfires stood strong and saw out the win, progressing to the semi-finals of the Hampshire Senior Cup in doing so.

Report by Matthew Benton-Smith

Eastleigh: Flitney (c), Gruzewski, Mumford, Stock, Wan, Bragg, Whitby, Tshaka, Scrimshaw, Hill (69′), Walker

Subs: Harris (69′), Evans, Smith, Pomeroy, Malpas

Goals: Walker (15′), Scrimshaw (70′)

Bashley: Casey, Webber, Davidson, Beard, Jackson, Monk (88′), Morris, Lowes, McGrath, Lovell, Grange (75′)

Subs: Rossi, Tubbs (88′), Pickles, Diaz (75′), Bruce

Goals: Grange (56′)