The Spitfires record a massive win in Yorkshire, a late goal from Luke Croll coupled with a clean sheet helped them on their way to taking down York City.

A cagey first-half was followed by more of the same, up until the 73rd minute when Zanda Siziba saw red for a challenge on Solomon Nwabuokei.

Ryan Fallowfield joined him moments later, for another foul on Nwabuokei.

Just four minutes after the hosts went down to 9-men, Luke Croll scored his first ever goal for the Spitfires, his goal was enough to get the Spitfires over the line, earning them a win that won’t be forgotten quickly.

The Minstermen had the first crack at the whip in the fourth minute, a shot was deflected towards goal but Joe McDonnell made a smart save to deny them taking an early lead.

Jake Vokins dribbling with the ball whilst fending off an opposing player. © Image by Graham Scambler Photography 2024

Max Kohyar had the hosts second attempt on goal 11 minutes later, his shot from outside the box was denied by a diving McDonnell.

The Spitfires first go on goal came in the 17th minute, Jake Taylor laid the ball into the path of McCallum who turned and struck the ball on the volley. His effort was gathered well by George Sykes-Kenworthy.

The hosts hit the woodwork in the 20th minute, Marvin Armstrong attempted to cross the ball into the danger area but saw the ball swept onto the crossbar by a strong gust of wind.

Dipo Akinyemi was denied of an opener in the 29th minute, when his headed effort at the near post was caught by McDonnell.

Eight minutes later, Nwabuokei played the ball into the path of Quigley on the edge of the box, he took aim on goal but could not keep his shot down.

Scott Quigley takes a shot against York City. © Image by Graham Scambler Photography 2024

The final chance of the half was one for the hosts, Armstrong had a go from a tight angle but his shot was deflected and went out for a corner that came to nothing.

After a more positive 15 minutes from the Spitfires at the start of the second-half, the first chance since the break fell to Scott Quigley. He got onto the end of a cross and headed the ball towards goal but saw his effort go agonisingly wide of the post.

Lenell John-Lewis responded with a go on goal of his own just less than five minutes later. He also headed the ball across goal but saw his effort fly wide of the mark.

George Langston flicked a header into the path of Quigley who boosted his effort higher up, the ball dipped down but not quite enough ass it hit the top of the crossbar.

Substitute, Siziba was sent off for a bad challenge on Nwabuokei. Leaving the hosts with 10-men on the pitch going into the last 15 minutes.

Fallowfield then fouled Nwabuokei minutes later in frustration and was given his marching orders as well.

The Spitfires finally found a way through in the 83rd minute, Ben Reeves whipped in a corner that was poked home by Croll who opened his Spitfires account in the process.

The Spitfires celebrate after Luke Croll’s goal against York City. © Image by Graham Scambler Photography 2024

Ludwig Francillette came close to doubling the Spitfires lead in the 87th minute, he had a go on goal from close range but saw his shot get palmed away by Sykes-Kenworthy.

The Spitfires held out and secured a huge win on the road in front of 137 travelling supporters.

York City: Skyes-Kenworthy (GK), Fallowfield, Akinyemi, Kouhyar (Siziba, 55′), Howe (C), Batty, Chadwick, Amos, Hunt, Armstrong (90+2′), Fishburn (John-Lewis, 55′)

Unused subs: Campbell (GK), McLaughlin

Yellow cards: Howe (83′), Chadwick (83′), John-Lewis (90+6′)

Red cards: Siziba (73′), Fallowfield (77′)

Eastleigh: McDonnell (GK), Francillette, Taylor (C) (Reeves, 71′), McCallum, Boldewijn, Langston, Croll, Nwabuokei, Maguire (Hodson, 61′), Quigley, Vokins

Unused subs: Scott (GK), Atangana, Merry

Goals: Croll (83′)

Yellow cards: Taylor (24′)

Referee: Dean Watson

Attendance: 5508 (137 away)

Report by Matthew Gibbs