The Spitfires made sure their Friday was a good one after securing three crucial points on their trip to Woking.

With a point to build on in the Spitfires’ last game against Hartlepool United, a win would’ve been the perfect way to end their next fixture.

That’s exactly what Eastleigh did thanks to headed goal from Solomon Nwabuokei in the first half.

The first chance of the game came just five minutes in when a long throw from Paul McCallum was punched by Will Jaaskelainen.

The punch fell into the path of Jake Taylor who was unable to keep his shot down from 15-yards.

Four minutes later, the hosts had their first chance of the game when Jayden Luker drove into the Spitfires’ box before his lacklustre effort found the gloves of McDonnell.

Jake Vokins delivered a dinked ball into the Woking area that fell kindly for McCallum who blasted his shot into the side-netting.

In the space of the following eight minutes, McDonnell was forced into four great saves.

His first came to deny Curtis Edwards from inside the box, the next two prevented Alan Judge from two speculative efforts, before Pavey’s powerful shot was kept out.

Three minutes later, the Spitfires took the lead with the opening goal of the afternoon.

Chris Maguire delivered a delicious corner where Solomon Nwabuokei was on hand to head home.

Solomon Nwabuokei celebrates with his teammates after scoring at Woking. © Image by Graham Scambler Photography

Following that goal, there was little to report for either side but that changed on the stroke of half time.

A ball was whipped in by Judge and Dan Moss met the ball with a diving header and clattered off the crossbar.

The Spitfires went in at the break ahead, but well aware of the warning shots that were fired from Woking.

It took a quarter of an hour for the first chance of the second half to come and even when it did, it was audacious.

Maguire picked up the ball on the halfway line before trying to catch Jaaskelainen off his line, his effort narrowly missed the target.

Chris Maguire passing the ball against Woking. © Image by Graham Scambler Photography

Six minutes after, Moss found himself with a chance to head past McDonnell but couldn’t find the target.

With just over 15 minutes left to play, the Spitfires’ Gaffer, Kelvin Davis, was shown a red card by the referee.

The final change of the game came for the visitors in the 88th minute when Nigel Atangana came on to replace Jake Taylor who put in a monumental shift.

Eastleigh held firm despite the five minutes of stoppage time and claimed an invaluable three points in Surrey.

Woking: Jaaskelainen (GK), Moss, Cuthbert (C), Wilkinson, Odusina (Delap 36′), Judge, Pavey (Korboa 64′), Luker, Edwards, Kendall, Berkoe.

Unused Subs: Casey, Grego-Cox, Ince.

Eastleigh: McDonnell (GK), Francillette, Taylor (C), McCallum, Langston, Hodson, Croll, Nwabuokei, Maguire (Quigley 64′), Rutherford (Boldewijn 64′), Vokins.

Unused Subs: Atangana, Reeves, Merry.

Goals: Nwabuokei (28′)

Yellow cards: McCallum (12′), Francillette (83′), McDonnell (85′)

Red cards: Davis (74′)

Referee: Kirsty Dowle

Attendance: 3,285 (304 away)