The Spitfires are forced to settle for defeat at the Hive Stadium, despite a solid showing in the second-half.

Barnet went into it knowing that they had to win to keep their slim hopes of winning the league alive.

They went 2-0 up within forty minutes, Maguire responded quickly with a goal of his own just three minutes after we conceded the second.

The hosts had the lions share of the ball to start with, they had several half chances but couldn’t quite find enough to open the scoring.

This was up until they found the extra gear that they had been looking for in the 19th minute, Dale Gorman fired the ball into the back of the net from range, giving the Bees control of the game early on.

Hodson plays a long pass. Photo by Graham Scambler.

Barnet continued to push towards the Eastleigh goal for the next 10 minutes or so, again, only really creating half-chances during that period.

Danny Collinge came close with a headed effort in the 36th minute, he saw his shot fly just over the bar meaning the hosts would have to wait to extend the scoring.

Their wait would only end up being a short one. Nicke Kabamba flicked the ball into the path of Gatlin O’Donkor who found the back of the net with an acrobatic effort.

Chris Maguire provided a lifeline for the Spitfires in the 42nd minute, Scott Quigley lumped the ball up into his path, he ran through on goal and placed the ball round Laurie Walker in cool fashion.

Maguire high fives Quigley after pulling a goal back. Photo by Graham Scambler.

He then had another go on goal moments after this, but saw Walker match his effort on this occasion.

The Spitfires went into the break a goal down.

Quigley had the first chance after the break, he broke through on goal but his shot was met well by Walker.

The next half an hour was filled with end-to-end football, that was until the ball fell into the feet of Maguire who sliced a close-range effort just wide of the post.

Quigley had another go on goal in the 80th minute as the Spitfires continued to push for an equaliser. He forced Walker into making a diving save, with the ball trickling away from danger.

There was a brief pause in the game in the 90th minute, with Kabamba going down injured, he was able to continue and play resumed.

Quigley has a go on goal. Photo by Graham Scambler.

Five minutes were added on at the end, with the Spitfires knowing that it was do or die.

We were unable to create any real chances and were forced to settle for defeat.

Barnet: Walker (GK), Hall-Johnson, Coker (Kanu 78′), Collinge (Cropper 85′), Okimo, Gorman (C), Kabamba, Hartigan, O’Donkor (Maguire-Drew 65′), Thompson, Brunt

Unused Subs: Blower, Matejko

Goals: Gorman (19′), O’Donkor (39′)

Yellow cards: Coker (32′), Hartigan (47′)

Eastleigh: McDonnell (GK), Atangana (Croll 46′), Francillette, Reeves, Taylor (C) (Nwabuokei 85′), Boldewijn, Langston, Hodson, Maguire, Quigley, Rutherford

Unused Subs: Martin, Barlow, Greenwood

Goals: Maguire (42′)

Yellow cards: Quigley (76′)

Referee: Ross Martin

Attendance: 1,081 (82 away)

Report by Matthew Gibbs