Kelvin Davis’ first home game in charge saw the Spitfires overcome high-flying Bromley to secure a 2-0 victory.

Scott Quigley opened the scoring in the 65th minute before Paul McCallum headed home to secure all three points.

The first opportunity of the game fell to the visitors, forcing a heroic deflection from Lee Hodson after a ball flashed across the box, within the opening five minutes.

Rutherford on the ball. Photo by Graham Scambler.

In the 10th minute, Louis Dennis’ long-range strike took an unfortunate deflection to deny Bromley the opener.

The Spitfires’ first attacking move of the game was created by captain Jake Taylor, whose volleyed cross was unable to find a teammate inside the box.

In the 33rd minute, Eastleigh enjoyed a spell of pressure on the edge of the Bromley box, with Oscar Rutherford and Ben Reeves both providing crosses into the area, building momentum for the hosts.

The Spitfires continued to attack late into the first half, with Rutherford pivotal to every move, although unable to challenge Grant Smith between the posts on this occasion.

Hodson battling to win a header. Photo by Graham Scambler.

On the stroke of halftime, Taylor’s low-driven shot was bundled by Smith, forcing the keeper to reclaim the ball after falling into the path of the clinical Paul McCallum.

Within the opening exchanges of the second half, Corey Whitely’s strike was matched by a super save from Joe McDonnell, to keep the tie goalless.

In the 51st minute, Smith had to provide an impressive save of his own, with McCallum’s header on-target and the rebound from Ben Reeves deflected to clear the danger.

Just moments later, Smith was forced into action again, denying Scott Quigley after his attempt on the half-turn.

In the 56th minute, Solomon Nwabuokei was awarded a yellow card for a challenge inside the Eastleigh half, with Bromley unable to create an opportunity from the subsequent free-kick.

In the 65th minute, Smith was finally beaten by Quigley, firing past the Bromley keeper and firing the Spitfires into the lead, after a clever flick-on from McCallum.

Quigley celebrates after opening the scoring. Photo by Graham Scambler.

In the 78th minute, McCallum’s header doubled the lead from Nigel Atangana’s lofted cross.

Multiple players celebrating with McCallum after he doubled the lead. Photo by Graham Scambler.

Bromley continued to seek a goal of their own, with Josh Passley’s free-kick troublesome for McDonnell, yet unable to provide a breakthrough for the visitors.

With six added minutes to secure the victory over promotion-pushing Bromley., the Spitfires held on to claim all three points.

Eastleigh: McDonnell (GK), Atangana, Francillette, Reeves (66′), Taylor (C), McCallum, Langston, Hodson, Nwabuokei, Quigley, Rutherford (86′)

Subs: Martin, Boldewijn (86′), Croll (66′), Maguire, Greenwood

Bromley: Smith (GK), Reynolds (C), Woods, Passley, Cheek, Dennis (56′), Kirk, Grant (74′), Whitely, Topalloj, Krauhaus (74′)

Subs: Orlowski, Charles (74′), Taylor-Hart (74′), Webster, Olomola (56′)

Attendance: 2,075 (243 away)

Report by Chloe Boyne