Eastleigh breeze past Boreham Wood in a six-goal thriller to book their place in the FA Cup second round.

A Nigel Atangana goal, as well as Ludwig Francillette and Chris Maguire braces, helped Eastleigh get past fellow National League side Boreham Wood to secure their place in the next round of the FA Cup.

Despite being reduced to 10-men after Jayden Harris received his marching orders, the Spitfires saw the game out comfortably and got their first win after back-to-back losses in the league.

It was a sloppy start from both sides but it was Eastleigh who had the first chance of the game in the seventh minute, with Jake Taylor getting on the end of a Chris Maguire cross, only for it to go just wide of the right-hand post.

Boreham Wood responded with a few attacks of their own, with the pacy Erico Sousa being their main source of attacking threat down the right in the opening exchanges.

Maguire won the Spitfires a free-kick down the right after tricky play, with the resulting set-piece only being cleared to the edge of the area to Nigel Atangana, who smashed it home for the opening goal of the game in the 16th minute.

Atangana celebrating the opening goal of the game – Photo by Graham Scambler

The lead didn’t last long though, with the away side levelling the scoring just two minute later when Matt Robinson guided the ball past Joe McDonnell from inside the box.

Maguire was involved again in the Spitfires’ attack when Jake Taylor’s deflected cross found him at the back post, with the attacker making no mistake and firing it home for the third goal in six minutes – restoring Eastleigh’s lead.

The first card of the game followed shortly after and Ludwig Francillette received a yellow after clattering the Boreham Wood attacker as he broke through the middle of the park.

McDonnell somehow managed to keep Eastleigh’s lead in-tact from the resulting free-kick, with the goalkeeper tipping Tyrone Marsh’s header out for a corner in the 28th minute.

Silky play between Enzio Boldewijn and Taylor won their side a free-kick in a similar position to the one for the first goal, with it leading to the same result.

Maguire whipped the ball in and Francillette was left unmarked in the centre, with the big defender smashing it past Nathan Ashmore for the Spitfires’ third in the 37th minute.

Francillette guiding the ball home for Eastleigh’s third – Photo by Graham Scambler

A long punt upfield by McDonnell led to a promising opportunity when Quigley nodded it down for Maguire, but his volleyed effort was grasped at the second time of asking by Ashmore in the final bit of action of the half.

The first goal of the second half took just seven minutes to arrive and Francillette got his second of the afternoon, nodding Hodson’s cross home to make it 4-1.

Jayden Harris almost added a fifth a few minutes later, but Ashmore got down well to tip his fierce effort past the post.

Maguire’s energy was causing the Boreham Wood defence problems again in the 67th minute, with Cameron Cox receiving a yellow for a cynical foul on the attacker.

The Spitfires also had a man booked shortly after, but this time it was a red after Harris received a second yellow for a late challenge in the middle of the park.

The away side almost grabbed a goal back in the 78th minute, but Souza couldn’t direct his effort goal wards, despite being free in the box.

Maguire then had the final attack of the game and scored his second after leaving two defenders on the floor before smashing it past Ashmore to round off a five-star performance.

Report by Freddie Dorman

Eastleigh: McDonnell, Atangana, Francillette, Taylor (C), Boldewijn, Langston, Hodson, Maguire, Clements, Quigley, Harris

Subs: Scott, McCallum, Barlow, Panter, Rutherford, Chalwell, Yang, Bagan

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Coxe, Ilesanmi, Payne (C) (45′), Bush, Ndlovu, Marsh, Fyfield, Sousa, Sass-Davies (57′), Robinson (68′)

Subs: Abayomi, Stephens, Whelan (68′), Abraham (57′), Balanta, O’Neil (45′), Miller

Attendance: 1,727 (143 away)