The Spitfires were forced to settle for a draw in a tight game against Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park.

Chris Maguire opened the scoring in the 27th minute with a cooly placed penalty.

Alex Reid then went on to cancel out his effort with just over 20 minutes to go in the game meaning that the points would be shared.

Neither side had the quickest of starts to the game with the first 16 minutes mainly being played in the middle of the park.

That was until Solomon Nwabuokei hit a venomous shot towards goal from the edge of the box, his effort was blocked by the Oldham defence giving the Spitfires a corner that came to nothing.

Hallam Hope came close for the hosts in the 23rd minute when he attempted to place a shot into the bottom corner from distance, his effort could only find the side netting.

Paul McCallum was fouled in the box in the 25th minute giving the Spitfires a great chance to open the scoring.

Chris Maguire took that chance and slotted the ball past Mathew Hudson into the bottom left corner to give the Spitfires the lead.

Chris Maguire celebrates scoring the opener. Photo by Graham Scambler.

James Norwood headed the ball towards the roof of the goal in the 40th minute but his effort was matched well by Joe McDonnell who tipped it over the bar.

The Spitfires went into the break with the lead.

Oldham came close to equalising when Alex Reid flashed the ball across the face of goal in the 54th minute with his effort going just wide of the post.

Scott Quigley nearly doubled the Spitfires lead in the 59th minute but his close range header went just wide of the goal.

Reid equalised for the hosts in the 69th minute with a close range effort that found the roof of the net.

Norwood found himself through on goal in the 78th minute but was chased down by Ludwig Francillette who did well to block his attempt on goal.

Aidan Barlow aimed the ball towards goal in the 85th minute but his effort went narrowly wide to the right of the goal.

Aidan Barlow taking on McGahey. Photo by Graham Scambler.

Kurt Willoughby curled a shot towards the right off the goal in the first minute of added time but he saw his effort miss the target.

Barlow was brought down on the edge of the box in the dying moments of the game, giving the Spitfires a chance to regain their lead.

Maguire’s free-kick was then blocked by the Oldham defence, this was the final chance of the game and the Spitfires were forced to settle for a point.

Report by Matthew Gibbs

Oldham Athletic: Hudson, Kitching, Hogan (C), Hobson, Lundstram, McGahey, Gardner (84), Hope (60), Freeman, Reid, Norwood (84)

Subs: Langley (GK), Shelton (84), Willoughby (60), Fondop (84), Raglan

Eastleigh: McDonnell (GK) (C), Atangana, Francillette, McCallum, Langston, Hodson, Nwabuokei (57), Maguire, Clements, Quigley, Rutherford

Subs: John (GK), Barlow (57), Panter, Yang, Dotse

Attendance: 6,418 (45 away)