It was a day to forget for the Spitfires as they were beaten by Maidenhead United at York Road.

The hosts went two goals up early on to seriously dent the Spitfires chances of getting something from the game.

Scott Quigley pulled one back early in the second half, the Spitfires looked re-energised up until Smith scored a third for the hosts in the 82nd minute.

Quigley then pulled another back in injury time but the Spitfires couldn’t find an equaliser from there.

The first chance of the game came for the hosts in the third minute when Remi Clerima headed just wide after connecting with a corner.

They came close again moments later as Reece Smith fired a shot wide to the right of the goal.

Maidenhead’s early onslaught was rewarded in the 10th minute when Clerima slotted the ball into the bottom right corner to give the hosts the lead.

Clerima popped up again in the 13th minute with a shot that hit the left post.

Oscar Rutherford fighting for possession of the ball. Photo by Graham Scambler.

Moments later the hosts won a penalty which was fired into the bottom left-corner by Ashley Nathaniel-George to double their lead.

Smith hit the side netting in the 17th minute with an effort from the right side of the box.

The next chance of the game came to Jayden Mitchell-Lawson who took a shot from the edge of the box but it was blocked on it’s way through to the safe hands of McDonnell.

Chanka Zimba came close in the 33rd minute but saw his shot blocked well by George Langston.

The first real chance for the Spitfires came in the 42nd minute when Nigel Atangana hit a venomous shot towards goal from 25-yards out that was saved well by a diving Craig Ross.

The first chance of the second-half came to Chris Maguire in the 51st minute, he aimed the ball towards the bottom right corner but his effort was saved well by an outstretched Ross.

The Spitfires pulled one back in the 56th minute when Aidan Barlow swung in a magnificent cross that was met by Scott Quigley who cannoned the ball home with a headed effort to get the Spitfires back into it.

Scott Quigley going to grab the ball out of the back of the net after scoring. Photo by Graham Scambler.

Maguire fired a shot towards goal in the 65th minute that went over the bar, the Spitfires looked re-energised as they pushed on in search of an equaliser.

McDonnell produced a superb save with his feet after Zimba was slipped in to be 1-on-1 with him in the 67th minute.

George Langston produced an unbelievable challenge in the 73rd minute to deny Maidenhead from being 1-on-1 with McDonnell.

Smith scored a third for the hosts in the 82nd minute against the run of play, extending their lead.

Jake Taylor dinked Ross in the 86th minute but his effort was cleared off the line by a Maidenhead defender.

Quigley scored his second of the afternoon in the fifth minute of injury time with a shot that he placed into the top left corner, but it was too late for the Spitfires to find an equaliser as they fell to defeat.

Joe McDonnell makes a save. Photo by Graham Scambler.

Report by Matthew Gibbs

Maidenhead United: Ross (GK)(C), Beckwith (85), De Havilland, Golding, Nathaniel-George (77), Mitchell-Lawson (61), Keetch, Pettit, Smith, Clerima, Zimba

Subs: Jinadu (GK), Asare (61), Omilabu, Massey (77), Kinsella (85)

Eastleigh: McDonnell (GK), Francillette, Taylor (C), Boldewijn, Langston, Maguire, Clements, Panter (29), Quigley, Rutherford (74), Harris (26)

Subs: Scott (GK), Atangana (26), Barlow (29), Chalwell, Dotse (74)

Attendance: 1,316