The Spitfires fall to defeat at home to Woking after a hard fought battle under the lights.

A first half goal from Dennon Lewis was enough to see Woking leave the Silverlake stadium with all three points on a wet evening.

The first chance of the game went to the visitors in the fifth minute, when Morgan Williams had an effort from inside the box that flashed just wide of the Spitfires goal.

Woking almost found the opener in the 16th minute after a dangerous cross by Dan Moss was drilled across the six-yard box, only for it to be smartly cleared by Francillette.

The Spitfires’ first effort of the game came in the 24th minute after a Scott Quigley fired a shot from outside the box just over the Woking goal.

Chris Maguire searching for an opener. Photo by Graham Scrambler.

The hosts continued their pressure, when just a few minutes later, Paul McCallum headed a pinpoint Enzio Boldewijn cross just wide of the post

Just before the half-time interval, Lewis Walker saw an audacious effort from the edge of the box rattle into the side netting.

Just moments later the deadlock was broken when the visitors took the lead.

Dennon Lewis raced through from his own half and slotted the ball calmly past McDonnell to give Woking the lead at the break.

Early in the second half, Rhys Browne had a tame effort from close range saved by McDonnell as the visitors continued their pressure.

In the 57th minute the Spitfires ramped up their intent when substitute Luca Chalwell rounded the Woking keeper, although the forward couldn’t quite keep the ball in play.

There was a lack of chances from either side in the second half, with a miscued Jake Taylor header 20 minutes from time the only chance of note.

Browne had a low effort saved by McDonnell as the game entered the last 10 minutes of regular time.

The visitors almost sealed all three points as Lewis had a thunderous strike well saved by the Spitfires keeper in the 84th minute.

Scott Quigley battling for possession. Photo by Graham Scrambler.

Scott Quigley then headed inches wide from a corner in injury time as the hosts battled for an equaliser.

Quigley then had another header just moments later but it failed to trouble Jaaskelainen in the Woking goal.

That proved to be the last chance of the game in what was a disappointing night for the Spitfires.

Eastleigh: McDonnell, Francillette, Taylor (c), McCallum (52), Boldewijn, Langston, Maguire, Clements (81), Panter (55), Quigley, Harris

Subs: Scott, Atangana (52), Rutherford (81), Chalwell (55), Yang

Woking: Jaaskelainen, Moss, Casey (c), Cuthbert, Odusina, Bradshaw, Williams, Ince, Walker, Browne, Lewis

Subs: Amond, O’Connell, Taylor, Pavey, Wakefield

Attendance: 1944 (289 away)

Report by Josh Jablonski