Two first-half goals by Paul McCallum were enough to seal three points for the Spitfires against Kidderminster Harriers at the Silverlake Stadium.

McCallum scored twice with his head to ensure that the hosts made it two wins out of their last three games after Gerry McDonagh netted early on from the penalty spot.

The first chance of the game fell to Caleb Richards in the seventh minute when was found by a cross but his shot missed wide to the left of the goal.

Kidderminster won a penalty in the eighth minute when Ludwig Francillette brought down McDonagh. The Kidderminster forward then stepped up to take the penalty and blasted it down the middle of the goal to put the visitors ahead.

The Spitfires first chance of the game came in the 14th minute when Chris Maguire swung in a corner that was met by McCallum whose headed effort was saved by Christian Dibble.

Scott Quigley came close in the 16th minute with a powerful long range effort that Dibble saved with his chest.

After putting pressure on Kidderminster since conceding, the Spitfires found an equaliser in the 23rd minute through McCallum. He got onto the end of Maguire’s corner and strongly headed the ball home.

Paul McCallum celebrates his first goal of the game. Photo by Graham Scambler.

McCallum was slipped in behind the Kidderminster defence minutes later but his shot was saved low by Dibble.

Maguire had an effort from the edge of the box blocked in the 30th minute as the Spitfires pushed on in search of the lead.

Quigley came close to earning the Spitfires that lead in the 40th minute when he was found by Enzio Boldewijn’s cross but his close range header went just over the bar.

The Spitfires took the lead on the stroke of half-time when Oscar Rutherford ran down the left wing and put in a superb cross that was met by McCallum who headed the ball into the left side of the goal to get his second of the afternoon.

Eastleigh celebrate taking the lead on the stroke of half-time. Photo by Graham Scambler.

Nine minutes into the second half, Maguire fired the ball across the face of goal, but nobody in an Eastleigh shirt could get on the end of it.

A few minutes later, Krystian Pearce headed over the bar from Joe Leesley’s free-kick, as the visitors continued to search for an equaliser.

The hosts responded with an attempt of their own, as substitute Oscar Rutherford cut inside and saw his shot charged down by the Kidderminster defence.

With 20 minutes left, Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain had a shot from distance which was comfortably dealt with by Joe McDonnell.

Aidan Barlow rolled an effort towards goal just moments after entering the action, but Dibble scooped it up with ease.

Barlow again caused problems for the Kidderminster defence when his teasing cross couldn’t be converted by any of the Eastleigh attackers.

Moments later, Barlow’s shot looked bound to go in, but Dibble’s fine save prevented the hosts from killing the game off.

Leesley blasted a ball well over the bar as the game entered the final five minutes with everything still to play for.

In stoppage-time, Maguire rounded the keeper, but saw his effort desperately scrambled off the line to safety by the Kidderminster defence.

Shortly afterwards, the referee blew for full-time as the Spitfires held firm to secure the three points.

Eastleigh: McDonnell (GK), Clampin (35), Atangana, Francillette, Carter (C), McCallum (75), Boldewijn, Langston, Rendall, Maguire, Quigley

Subs: Scott (GK), Barlow (75), Nwabuokei, Rutherford (35), Chalwell

Kidderminster Harriers: Dibble (GK), Penny, Richards, Knight-Percival (76), Pearce (C), Leesley, Morgan-Smith (61), Oxlade-Chamberlain, Brown, McDonagh, Lissimore (55)

Subs: Phillips (61), Hemmings, Maguire (55), Hobson (76), Hall

Report by Matthew Gibbs & Tom Humphrey