Joe McDonnell’s late penalty save earns the Spitfires a point on the road as they visited Dorking Wanderers at Meadowbank.

The first real chance of the game came in the sixth minute for the Spitfires. Chris Maguire received the ball out wide and sent a dangerous looking cross into the box that was just behind the run of Aidan Barlow.

James McShane came close moments later with Dorking’s first chance of the game, he saw his close range effort from the left side of the goal go just wide of the post.

Charlie Carter was slipped in behind the Dorking defence in the 16th minute and drove into the box, his shot was saved low by Harrison Male with the ball eventually going out for a corner.

Jason Prior hit the post for the hosts in the 19th minute with a right-footed effort from the left side of the goal as both sides continued to push for an opener.

Bobby-Joe Taylor came close for Dorking in the 29th minute as he blazed a shot high and wide to the left of the goal.

Prior came close again in the 38th minute, his close range header was blocked by Trent Rendall.

Trent Rendall heads the ball on his debut. Photo by Graham Scambler.

Moments later, Barlow crossed the ball to Carter who had a close range effort saved by Male.

George Langston played a superb ball into the path of Scott Quigley in the first minute of injury time, Quigley then drove into the box and took a shot that was dragged just wide of the right post.

Bobby-Joe Taylor had the first chance of the second half with a left-footed shot from outside the box that was aimed towards the bottom right corner of the goal, Joe McDonnell got down well to save his effort to keep the score level.

The next chance of the game came to Maguire in the 50th minute whose powerful shot from range went over the bar.

Barlow came close in the 63rd minute for the Spitfires with an effort from the edge of the box that was blocked.

Just a minute later, Jake Taylor also almost opened the scoring after he connected with Quigley’s cross but his shot went wide of the goal.

Scott Quigley heads the ball. Photo by Graham Scambler.

In the 77th minute, Carter came close again as he saw his point blank header go just over the bar.

Dorking won a penalty in the 79th minute after Jason Prior was brought down in the box giving the hosts an opportunity to take the lead late on.

The man who won it stepped up to take but his lacklustre effort was saved by McDonnell to keep his clean sheet intact, he got down low to his left to gather the attacker’s shot, keeping the Spitfires in the game.

Maguire had a dig from long range in the 86th minute but his shot was saved by Male low in the centre of the goal.

Carter saw a shot clatter the post in the first minute of injury time, his right-footed effort from outside the box could not give the Spitfires the lead.

Despite numerous chances for both sides, neither were able to draw blood meaning the Spitfires earnt a point on their trip to Surrey.

Report by Matthew Gibbs

Dorking Wanderers: Male (GK), Pybus, Craig, McManus (67), Prior, McShane, J Taylor, Moore (28), Fuller (C), Bowerman, Francomb

Subs: B Taylor (28), Kennedy, Ottaway (67), Kuhl, Lankshear

Eastleigh: McDonnell (GK), Taylor (C), Barlow (78), Boldewijn, Langston, Hodson (6), Rendall, Nwabuokei, Maguire, Quigley, Rutherford

Subs: Scott (GK), Atangana (78), Carter (6), McCallum, Tshaka

Attendance: 1,486 (143 away)