The Spitfires suffered their first defeat of the season as goals from Ian Henderson and Kairo Mitchell saw them fall to Rochdale at the Crown Oil Arena.

Rochdale set the mood of the afternoon after they opened the scoring ten minutes into the match, the home side whipped a ball straight across the face of goal which was poked home by Ian Henderson at the far post.

Harvey Gilmour took a punt from long range a few minutes later but his shot went wide to the left of the goal.

Ethan Ebanks-Landell became the first name to go into the book after he blocked Charlie Carter to stop a counter attack in the 30th minute.

Aaron Martin gets stuck into a challenge. Photo by Graham Scambler.

Jake Taylor saw a shot blocked from just inside of the box in the 33rd minute as the Spitfires pushed for an equaliser.

Moments later, Scott Quigley also saw a shot blocked by the Rochdale defence after he cut onto the left side of the box and tried to curl the ball towards the near post.

Ryan Clampin and Charlie Carter were both booked later in the half meaning they were walking a tight rope.

Kairo Mitchell had a close range effort superbly saved by Joe McDonnell in the first minute of injury time but moments later he had a long range effort that found the top right corner of the goal to double the hosts lead.

Rochdale had the first chance of the second half when Tyrese Sinclair cut into the box and curled a shot towards the left side of the goal that was saved by a diving Joe McDonnell.

Jake Taylor became the next name to go into the book after he was shown a yellow card in the 53rd minute.

Kairo Mitchell was slipped through and tried to place the ball across goal but his shot was saved by the feet of Joe McDonnell in the 55th minute.

Aaron Martin and Charlie Carter challenge for a header. Photo by Graham Scambler.

Cameron John had a shot from inside of the box a few minutes later that hit the left post before being cleared, He was then booked for a foul during the Spitfires counter attack.

The next chance of the game came in the 78th minute when Scott Quigley had an effort from inside of the box blocked by the Rochdale defence as the Spitfires continued to search for a way back into the match.

Enzio Boldewijn was booked in the 80th minute for a late challenge on Adam Clayton.

Jimmy Keohane dragged a shot wide to the left of the goal a couple of minutes later for the hosts.

Paul McCallum came close with a headed effort in the 84th minute but it went over the bar, this was the last real chance of the game as the Spitfires went on to lose for the first time this season.

Report by Matthew Gibbs.


Moulden (GK), John (77), East, Ebanks-Landell (C), Sinclair (68), Clayton, Mitchell, Keohane, Gilmour (89), Ferguson, Henderson


Rodney, McDermott (89), Nevett, Oduroh (77), Afuye (68)


McDonnell (GK), Clampin, Martin (C), Carter (46), Taylor, McCallum, Langston, Hodson (46), Nwabuokei, Maguire (71), Quigley


Scott (GK), Francillette, Barlow (71), Boldewijn (46), Rutherford (46)

Attendance: 2,176 (70 away)