The Spitfires came back from two goals behind to draw with League Two side Swindon Town in an entertaining pre-season clash at the Silverlake Stadium.

Second half goals from Enzio Boldewijn and substitute Scott Quigley cancelled out strikes from Charlie Austin and Saidou Khan earlier in the game.

Swindon started the game on the front foot, with Rushian Hepburn-Murphy seeing a shot blocked in the opening minute of the game.

The pressure continued when Marcel Lavinier blazed over the bar, hitting the roof of the net in the process.

The hosts had their first meaningful effort of the game, as Paul McCallum fired in an effort from a corner and Murphy Mahoney saved comfortably.

Hepburn-Murphy almost broke the deadlock when his fierce shot rattled the crossbar in the 17th minute.

Moments later, Lavinier’s bursting run down the left-hand side almost caused problems for the Eastleigh defence, but Hepburn-Murphy failed to connect with his cross.

The Spitfires responded with an effort of their own when McCallum got his head to a Nigel Atangana cross, but it was straight at Mahoney.

On the half hour mark, Remeao Hutton forced a superb save from Joe McDonnell when he almost curled an effort into the top corner of the net.

In the 35th minute, Austin converted from the penalty spot after Hepburn-Murphy was brought down in the penalty area.

McCallum nearly levelled just two minutes later, as his goalbound attempt was blocked by a Swindon defender and put behind for a corner.

The Robins almost doubled their advantage as the game edged towards the break, when Lavinier bent an effort towards the bottom corner of the net, but Aaron Martin cleared away the danger.

Two minutes into the second half, substitute Aidan Barlow came close to making an instant impact, as he found himself in acres of space down the left-hand side, he raced towards goal and saw his effort hit the post.

The visitors added a second goal in the 57th minute, as Khan curled in sweetly from the edge of the box, shortly after Austin was denied his second of the game by McDonnell.

Substitute Jake Taylor nearly got his head on the end of a corner as the Spitfires tried to pull one back just minutes later.

With just under 20 minutes left to play, Swindon almost got a third goal when Trialist B curled a shot just wide of the mark.

Eastleigh reduced the deficit when Quigley headed in from close range with 15 minutes remaining.

Taylor got on the end of a free-kick and his effort was nodded in by Quigley to halve Swindon’s advantage.

Boldewijn fired in the equaliser in the 82nd minute, with a neatly struck effort into the bottom-right hand corner of the net for the final goal of the game.

Eastleigh players celebrate scoring against Swindon Town – Image courtesy of Graham Scambler

Eastleigh: McDonnell, Clampin, Atangana (45), Martin (c), Carter, McCallum (69), Boldewijn, Langston (81), Hodson, Nwabuokei (69), Trialist E (45)

Subs: Taylor (45), Barlow (45), Rutherford (69), Quigley (69), Bragg (81), Stock, Chalwell, Simpson, Hughes

Swindon Town: Mahoney (78), Hutton (58), Blake-Tracy (67), McEachran (58), Khan (58), Kemp (58), Hepburn-Murphy, Brewitt, Minturn, Lavinier (58), Austin (58)

Subs: Brann (78), Brown (58), Trialist A (58), Hart (67), Cain, Trialist B (58), Darcy (58), Wakeling, Adeloye, Fox (58)

Report by: Tom Humphrey