A strong-spirited performance from the Spitfires earnt all three points from their trip to North Lincolnshire this afternoon.

The first chance of the game went the way of the hosts when Jacob Butterfield had a shot from the byline deflected over the bar by George Langston in the 2nd minute of the game.

It took just three minutes later for the Spitfires’ first chance to come when Kairo Mitchell tried his luck from range but saw his effort fly over the bar.

Moments later, the visitors came close when Ousseynou Cissé headed just over from Michael Kelly’s inviting cross.

In the 9th minute, Charlie Carter took aim but was unable to keep his shot down from the edge of the box.

It took just over ten minutes for the next bit of action to come but when it did, it was worth it.

In the 21st minute, Danny Whitehall was brought down in the box and the referee pointed to the spot.

It was the man who won it, who stepped up to take it and he converted after sending Aaron Chapman the wrong way to give Eastleigh the lead.

17 minutes later, the Hampshire side could’ve had another when Alfie Lloyd made a dangerous run into the box before he had his effort saved by the foot of Chapman.

The final chance of the first half came a minute before the break when Butterfield had a shot from distance and his effort was dragged well wide.

The opening chance of the second period came three minutes after the restart. Richie Bennett had his effort comfortably held by Joe McDonnell.

Two minutes later, Kairo Mitchell was given his marching orders by Aaron Bannister, the referee, for lashing out at the Scunthorpe defender. The Spitfires were down the ten men.

On the hour mark, Scunthorpe came close when Tom Pugh fired wide from close range before smacking the ground in frustration.

Four minutes later, Billy Fewster tried a shot from 25 yards out but his effort rose too high and flew over the bar.

With just over 20 minutes to go, a big chance fell to Eastleigh when Danny Whitehall received a pass from Kelly who had taken Martin’s ball down well. Whitehall fired twice but saw both of his efforts blocked.

Five minutes from time, a corner was swung in by Liam Feeney that Richards-Everton met with his head and Michael Kelly was able to hook it clear off the line.

The 90th minute was followed by seven minutes of additional time where plenty of action occurred.

First, McDonnell saved Richard-Everton’s glancing header from eight yards.

Three minutes later, McDonnell was forced into action again when a shot from Pugh was tipped round the post to preserve the Spitfires’ 1-0 lead.

The referee brought relief to the travelling Eastleigh with his full-time whistle not long later to send Lee Bradbury’s men home with all three points.

Report by Ricky Hart

Attendance: 3,237 (45 away)

Scunthorpe United: Chapman, Ogle, Elliott, Beestin, Richards-Everton, Butterfield (C), Fewster, Leake, Bunker, Smith, Bennett

Subs: Boyce, Feeney, Wilson, Shrimpton, Pugh

Eastleigh: McDonnell, Camp, Kelly, Martin (C), Carter, Cissé, Whitehall, Langston, Mitchell, Rutherford, Lloyd

Subs: Flitney, Maghoma, Tshaka, Bragg, Scrimshaw