The Spitfires saw defeat after goals from Elliot Newby and Ryan Colclough were enough to give the hosts all three points despite a late, headed goal from Danny Whitehall.

The first chance of the game came in the 9th minute when Ryan Colclough had a shot from just outside the area that ricocheted off of George Langston and into Joe McDonnell’s grateful grasp.

Three minutes later, the hosts had a second chance as Chris Conn-Clarke went for goal after making a marauding run towards the edge of the Spitfires’ box but dragged his effort well wide of the post.

Moments later, it was third time’s the charm for Altrincham when the ball was cut back into the box where Elliot Newby was on hand to tap the hosts into the lead.

The first real chance for Eastleigh came in the 18th minute.

Vincent Harper delivered an excellent cross to the back post where Charlie Carter was waiting but he was unable to get his header on target.

The hosts were enjoying the lion’s share of chances and another one came their way following a scramble in the box before Eddy Jones fired his volley attempt wide of the post from 20 yards out.

With less than 10 minutes before the break, the Spitfires produced a good move that started with some slick passing and ended with a driven ball in from Tristan Abrahams that Charlie Carter couldn’t keep under the bar with his attempt.

Just before half-time, Joe McDonnell was forced into action after a deflected shot from Ryan Colclough needed dealing with.

The first change of the game for the Spitfires was made ten minutes into the second half as Oscar Rutherford made way for Danny Whitehall.

Four minutes later, An Altrincham cross came in from the right that wasn’t fully cleared and dropped in front of Connor Jennings whose powerful volley flew just over the bar.

With 20 minutes to play, a strong but fair challenge from Brennan Camp resulted in Ryan Colclough lashing out at Camp ending in Colclough getting booked.

Moments later, Brennan Camp was shown a yellow card for a mistimed challenge on Ryan Colclough.

Less than five minutes after the incident, the man involved doubled the host’s lead as he slotted his effort beyond the outstretched Joe McDonnell.

Just before stoppage time was announced, Danny Whitehall headed one back for the visitors after a delightful cross from Brennan Camp.

In the 92nd minute, the Spitfires could’ve had an equaliser but for a fine, diving save from Ollie Byrne who denied Vincent Harper from range.

Unfortunately, Eastleigh couldn’t find the leveller and headed back to Hampshire empty-handed.

Report by Ricky Hart