A brace from Danny Whitehall wasn’t enough to give Eastleigh anything from a five-goal thriller away to Oldham Athletic.

It was far from an ideal start for Eastleigh when Luke Burgess was played through on goal and he slotted beyond Joe McDonnell to give the hosts the lead only three minutes in.

The Spitfires almost found an equaliser only seven minutes later when Charlie Carter had a shot that had beaten Magnus Norman in goal but was cleared off the line David Okagbue.

Carter then had a curling second attempt just after, which was slightly wide of the far post.

The visitors were forced into an early change only 18 minutes in after Vincent Harper picked up a knock and was replaced by Michael Kelly.

Eastleigh found an equaliser in the 29th minute when Danny Whitehall had his initial effort parried back into his path for him to slot home off the post.

Just past the half hour mark and Joe McDonnell was forced into action when Ben Tollitt was played through on goal before firing his effort low and hard but the Spitfires’ number one was equal to it.

In the 37th minute, Charlie Carter tried his luck from range and made Magnus Norman have to make an excellent diving save to deny him.

Danny Whitehall put the Hampshire side ahead in the 40th minute with a superb volley after Ousseynou Cissè flicked on Corey Panter’s long throw-in to allow Whitehall to pick his spot.

Eastleigh went into the half-time interval leading the game courtesy of a Whitehall double.

The first chance of the second half came the way of the visitors when JJ McKiernan tried his luck from just outside the box but in the end, his effort was dragged wide.

Eastleigh had another chance in the 62nd minute with Corey Panter whipping in a great corner that Whitehall flicked on with his head but nobody was able to get on the end of it at the back post.

Tristan Abrahams had a go at goal next but couldn’t generate enough power on it and in the end, it was a simple save for the goalkeeper.

In the 65th minute, Oldham found an equaliser courtesy of Mike Fondop whose touch from the cross was enough to poke it into the far bottom corner.

John Oyenuga was the next Spitfire to be replaced in the 70th minute with Ryan Hill coming on to replace him.

A great attack for the Spitfires with Oldham outnumbered ended in Corey Panter’s effort hitting the side-netting from a tight angle in the 79th minute.

The third and final change for Eastleigh was also made in the 79th minute with Charlie Carter making way for Jake Hesketh.

The hosts took the lead in the 89th minute with Charlie Wellens bending one into the top corner to earn Oldham all three points.

Report by Ricky Hart