Eastleigh came back from behind after conceding an early goal against Yeovil Town, but the scores ended level despite relentless pressure from Lee Bradbury’s side.

Yeovil took a surprise seventh-minute lead after an error at the back, but the Spitfires found a deserved equaliser through JJ McKiernan in the second half before a late red card for Brennan Camp saw the hosts end with 10 men at the Silverlake Stadium.

Eastleigh got off to the worst possible start, as a lofted pass into the area was unexpectedly dropped by Joe McDonnell.

Bristol City-loanee Sam Pearson collected the loose ball, turned, and finished neatly from inside a crowded penalty area with the visitors’ first chance of the game.

An immediate response was needed for Lee Bradbury’s side, and the first attempt came from Ousseynou Cisse who blazed over the bar from the edge of the area.

Eastleigh were persistent in their efforts, breaking from midfield twice in quick succession with Tristan Abrahams coming close to finding a leveller.

In the 13th minute, Abrahams fired wide of the mark before then, in the 16th minute, being denied by a smart save from the opposing goalkeeper.

In what was turning into a lively affair at the Silverlake Stadium, Jamie Reckord was the first to enter the referee’s book as he received a yellow card for bringing down John Oyenuga on the right-hand touchline.

Danny Whitehall was next to test the gloves of The Glovers’ goalkeeper, hitting a powerful free-kick from range that was parried clear before the first half had even reached its midpoint.

With just 25 minutes on the clock, Brennan Camp was fouled on the edge of the area after another promising attack. Ben Richards-Everton received a booking, and Corey Panter stepped up to try his luck.

The defender’s well-struck effort was pushed away into the path of Aaron Martin, who was in turn denied by a diving defensive block inside the area.

The Eastleigh chances kept coming, with Camp having a shot on the turn cleared away just after the half hour mark.

The visitors did manage to earn themselves a spell of possession as the first half wore on, but their brief period in the ascendency ended with a tame effort that dropped wide of the Eastleigh goal from Malachi Linton, and a header from Ben Richards-Everton that was simple to deal with.

Vincent Harper and Corey Panter both received yellow cards to ensure that the first half ended level on bookings, but it was the visitors who lead at the break.

The second half began as the first half had largely played out, with the Spitfires on top and pushing for an equaliser.

Abrahams was denied for a third time with the most impressive save of the evening on 55 minutes.

The Spitfires’ striker hit an effort that was destined for the top corner but was expertly tipped away with a flying, one-handed stop from Smith in the Yeovil goal.

In the 67th minute, moments after the sixth yellow card of the game, Eastleigh had yet another pair of chances in quick succession as both John Oyenuga and substitute Charlie Carter fired shots juts over the bar.

The relentless pressure was eventually rewarded, as JJ McKiernan fired in a deserved equalising goal for the Spitfires.

The Watford-loanee drove through the Yeovil defence and drilled in the leveller from just inside the box, wheeling away and raising his hands to the Spitfires faithful behind the goal.

It remained all Eastleigh from there, as Brennan Camp headed just over with the final ten minutes of normal time approaching.

With wave after wave of attacks from Lee Bradbury’s side, the visitors survived two penalty area scrambles with the clock ticking down.

The drama didn’t end in normal time, as the fourth official signalled for six additional minutes to be played.

After a firm but fair tackle, Eastleigh were reduced to ten men in stoppage time. Brennan Camp received his marching orders much to the outrage of Spitfires supporters and players alike.

Despite being a man down, the final chance of the game once again fell to the home side as another block from inside the penalty are denied a goal-bound effort deep into injury time.

The game did end level, as the Spitfires take a point to maintain their unbeaten home start to the season.

Eastleigh: McDonnell, Oyenuga (71′), Camp, Martin (c), Panter (62′), Harper; Cisse (62′), McKiernan, Hill; Whitehall, Abrahams

Subs: Langston (62′), Rutherford, Carter (62′), Hesketh (71′), Ebanks

Goal(s): McKiernan (72′)

Attendance: 1977 (291 away)

Report by Tom Mulholland