Eastleigh returned to winning ways in the Vanarama National League with a 1-0 win over FC Halifax Town at the Silverlake Stadium.

Charlie Carter’s first-half strike was enough for the Spitfires to see off Chris Millington’s side and claim all three points at home.

The visitors registered the first effort of the game, with Kian Spence’s half-volley forcing Joe McDonnell into action in the fifth minute.

After an even start, Halifax were awarded a penalty in the 21st minute when Jordan Keane went down in the box.

Matty Warburton was denied from the penalty spot by an excellent save from Spitfires goalkeeper McDonnell to keep the game scoreless.

Moments later, the hosts caught Halifax on the break, with Charlie Carter finishing off a fine move by rolling the ball past Sam Johnson to give Eastleigh the lead in the 23rd minute.

Carter then tried his luck again five minutes later, with his speculative effort from distance flying wide of the mark.

Danny Whitehall nearly doubled Eastleigh’s lead before the break, when his header from Vincent Harper’s cross was saved well by Johnson.

The hosts started the second half brightly as Tristan Abrahams nearly got on the end of Ryan Hill’s header across the face of the Halifax goal.

With just over 20 minutes to go, the visitors almost equalised, when Spence saw his effort from the edge of the box come crashing back off the post.

Substitute Jordan Slew fired a free-kick well over the bar as Halifax continued their search for an equaliser.

In the 82nd minute, Eastleigh went in search of a second. Corey Panter swung in a free-kick and found Carter unmarked at the back post, but his header went narrowly wide.

Emmanuel Dieseruvwe’s late effort was saved well by McDonnell following a scramble for the ball in the penalty area.

An Abrahams shot stung the palms of Johnson right at the death, as the hosts held out for an important three points.

Eastleigh Starting XI: McDonnell, Oyenuga, Martin (c), Panter, Harper, Carter, McKiernan, Cisse, Hill (80), Whitehall (68), Abrahams

Subs: Langston, Rutherford (80), Atangana, Hesketh, Ebanks (68)

Halifax Starting XI: Johnson, Minihan, Debrah, Arthur (82), Senior, Keane (c), Spence, Warburton, Dieseruvwe, Cappello (86), Gilmour (59)

Subs: Hunter, Harker (86), Slew (59), Golden, Smart (82)

Match Report by: Tom Humphrey