Two moments of magic from Danny Whitehall earned a dramatic win for the Spitfires against Southend United.

Despite a positive first half, Eastleigh were behind at the break with Callum Powell opening the scoring, before an incredible Whitehall finish turned things around in the second half.

Lee Bradbury made one change to the side that beat York City a week prior, with Oscar Rutherford handed his first professional start a day after signing a professional contract with the club.

The first half began fairly evenly, with both sides trading half chances in an attempt to get a foothold on the game.

An early corner tested the Southend ‘keeper, Collin Andeng-Ndi, as Aaron Martin directed a Charlie Carter flick goalwards.

Dan Mooney then had a shot from distance for the visitors which fired just wide in their first attempt of the game.

Ousseynou Cisse was next to have a sight at goal in the 11th minute, hitting a loose ball which was only gathered at the second attempt by Andeng-Ndi.

However, in the 22nd minute, it was Southend who opened the scoring – Callum Powell rounded off a flowing counter attack to sweep the ball home unmarked in the penalty area.

It was an early blow for the Spitfires, who responded with more vigour as the first half wore on.

Ryan Hill had the best opportunity just before half time with a low shot that rebounded off the back stanchion of the goal and rippled the outside of the net, cueing momentary celebrations from the home fans.

After growing into the first half, the Spitfires continued their improvement in the second period in search of a response.

Aaron Martin again had an early header from a corner in the 54th minute but he could only direct the ball into the goalkeeper’s arms.

On the hour mark, the visitors had the ball in the back of the net for the second time only for it to be ruled offside.

Tensions started to rise with the game progressing, with the Shrimpers collecting a hattrick of bookings whilst Brennan Camp saw yellow for Eastleigh.

Then, second-half substitute Danny Whitehall made his mark in the 77th minute.

With Tristan Abrahams brought down just inside the Eastleigh half, Whitehall reacted quickest to produce one of the most spectacular goals the Silverlake Stadium has ever seen.

From before the halfway line, he launched an inch-perfect effort over the sprawling ‘keeper and into the top corner.

The spectacular equaliser gave new life to the Spitfires, and they began to turn the tide in search of a winner.

With two minutes of normal time remaining, Corey Panter struck a well-hit free-kick that was matched by a smart save.

Another set-piece deep into injury time would prove to be the difference, though.

In the final minute of five added on, Whitehall was brought down on the edge of the area and stepped to to add the final twist to the game.

The low shot took a slight deflection and nestled into the bottom left corner as jubilant celebrations on and off the pitch followed.

The win takes Eastleigh up to fifth in the Vanarama National League as they extend their early unbeaten run to four games.

Eastleigh: McDonnell, Camp, Martin, Panter, Harper, Cisse, Carter (62′), McKiernan, Hill (62′), Abrahams (81), Rutherford.

Subs: Langston, Oyenuga, Hesketh (81′), Whitehall (62′), Ebanks (62′)

Attendance: 2383 (683 away)