Eastleigh suffered just their second defeat of the season on a Bank Holiday trip to Barnet, live in front of the BT Sport cameras.

Despite a fast start and a valiant late push in the closing stages from the Spitfires, two first half goals and one early in the second period from the clinical home side were enough to secure all three points.

Callum Ebanks scored his first professional goal to reduce the deficit, but it proved to be too little too late for Lee Bradbury’s side.

It was the Spitfires who started the better at The Hive, full of energy from their dramatic victory two days prior.

The hosts, who had an extra days’ rest in the bank, struggled to get near Eastleigh in the opening 10 minutes.

Tristan Abrahams had the best opportunity to open the scoring, hitting a half volley that was deflected out for a corner which saw Aaron Martin head just wide.

Barnet eventually looked to cause some opportunities of their own as Sam Beard had an effort from range that whistled wide.

JJ McKiernan made a marauding run into the box with the scores still goalless, but his effort from an ever-tightening angle was saved by Laurie Walker.

Eastleigh’s closest chance of the half came in the 20th minute, as a swift counter attack for Abrahams deliver a dangerous low cross that was somehow hooked out for a corner from inside Barnet’s six-yard box.

The hosts started to work a way into the game as the half wore on, and began to enjoy a spell of control themselves as Dale Gorman hit a curling, goal-bound strike from distance that McDonnell had to be alert to catch.

The deadlock was broken by the hosts just before the half hour mark, in controversial fashion.

A Barnet shot was deflected wide by an orange shirt but a corner was awarded, much to the vehement protests from the Eastleigh players and supporters.

From the resulting set-piece, Harry Pritchard diverted the ball goalwards and it was bundled in to open the scoring.

The Bees continued to push for the rest of the half, and found a second goal through Sean Shields.

The summer signing from Weymouth picked up the ball on the left wing and drove inside, firing low into the bottom corner from inside the penalty area.

Eastleigh could only force a couple of half chances as they entered the break behind by two goals.

With it all to do, Eastleigh came out firing once again in the second half, but just like then opening period it was the hosts who found the net.

Against the early second half run of play, a clearance fell to Rob Hall on the edge of the area to rifle home an unstoppable left-footed volley.

Lee Bradbury’s side had it all to do, but it wasn’t for the want of trying as the Spitfires launched a late siege in the final 20 minutes of the game.

John Oyenuga and Callum Ebanks were introduced and injected some pace and vigour into the attack, but it was Vincent Harper who came agonisingly close on the hour mark.

A cross from Oyenuga came all the way through to Harper, who saw his far post drive blocked out for a corner.

In the 78th minute, Danny Whitehall came close to a consolation with a free-kick which hit the side netting.

A minute later his strike partner Abrahams raced through and chipped the ‘keeper, only to be denied by an excellent recovery block from Moussa Diarra.

Eastleigh did find one goal back with seven minutes remaining, as Ebanks opened his account for the club.

Corey Panter delivered one of 14 corners throughout the game, and the Cheltenham-loanee rose highest to nod in his first professional goal.

Whitehall again tried his luck in the 87th minute, hitting a fierce, dipping drive from distance that was matched by an excellent one handed save.

In the four minutes of stoppage time, the pressure remained relenting from the Spitfires but to no avail as the Barnet defence held strong to secure all three points.

Eastleigh: McDonnell, Camp, Martin (C), Panter, Harper, Carter (73′), McKiernan, Hill (56′), Whitehall, Hesketh (56′), Abrahams

Subs: Langston, Oyenuga (56′), Rutherford, Cisse (73′), Ebanks (56′)

Attendance: 1974 (108 away)

Report by Tom Mulholland